COPY FROM throwing permission denied

We’re attempting to upgrade to a current Crate version (from 2.0.7) and I have nice boring CSV files to import. i have a single node, only the crate user, am running as said user, have tried in crash, and the web console - have turned up every logging param i can find. When i do:
copy cetc_infrastructure.data from ‘file:///home/wendy/a/qtest.csv’ return summary;

I get the (Permission denied) error as the only indication. this is a CentOS (virtual) machine, the file is 777, seLinux is disabled, the GUI can insert a single record from that data file if i manually put it in as insert (…) values (…) so its not a permission to write a record issue. I’m sure i have something mis-configured - but at this point i have no idea how to tell what … there is nothing useful in the /var/log/crate - only a gc.log. only a couple lines in the system log - none of which indicate anything useful.

±--------------------------------------------------±-------------------------------±--------------±------------±----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| node | uri | success_count | error_count | errors |
±--------------------------------------------------±-------------------------------±--------------±------------±----------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
| {“id”: “Q4cvTU3yR5iEItIdToqGPg”, “name”: “Kanin”} | file:///home/wendy/a/qtest.csv | NULL | NULL | {"/home/wendy/a/qtest.csv (Permission denied)": {“count”: 1, “line_numbers”: }} |
COPY 1 row in set (0.069 sec)