Power BI connection with CrateDB

I am attempting to connect CrateDB to Power BI. I have followed the documentation online (Reports with CrateDB and Power BI Desktop — CrateDB: How-Tos), but I keep getting an error from Power BI saying “ODBC: ERROR [08001] timeout expired.”

Is there any documentation on how to fix this? I have not been able to find anything for this problem.

Thank you!

• Did you add the DSN in Windows and does testing the DSN work?
  • Which CrateDB version are you using?

We have a guide in the documentation:

I am running the 4.7.1 version of crate.

I followed that guide when I originally setup the DSN using the ODBC Data Source Administrator. Testing the DSN through the administrator causes the configure window to stop responding and the test never finishes.

And you are using the newest PostgreSQL ODBC driver?
https://odbc.postgresql.org/ ?

Yes, I download the most recent version from the MSI directory they recommended.

Oh, actually I think you can just use the default PostgreSQL connection in PowerBI by now and don’t even have to setup a separate DSN:

I will have to ask a buddy running Windows :slight_smile:

Testing the DSN through the administrator causes the configure window to stop responding and the test never finishes.

That definitely is strange. I just tried adding a DSN for a 4.7.1 cluster and it worked out of the box

1 Like

I was able to get it to work using the PostgreSQL database. Thank you for the recommendation!

2 Likes