Upgrading 3.2.8 to 4.5

Hi, would someone be able to tell me through which versions should I upgrade, in order to get my 3.2.8 (4 node cluster) upgraded to 4.5 ?

What I want to establish is if upgrading from 3.2.8 directly to 4.5 is possible? Or do I need to upgrade first to some other previous version ? And to which ones?

Any help very much appreciated.

Regards,
Chris

Hi Chris @level7,

the release notes have instructions on how to upgrade CrateDB (see blue “note” box at beginning of every release note)

Typically you need to upgrade to the latest minor hotfix release before moving to the next minor version (example: 4.0.12 → 4.1.8 → 4.2.7 and so on).

Please check the upgrade notes when moving from 3.x.x to 4.0.x.

Also note that Tables that were created prior CrateDB 3.x will not function with 4.x and must be recreated before moving to 4.x.x.

Hope this helps,
Johannes

Hi Johannes,

Thanks for prompt reply. Could you please let me know how can I check if my tables were created prior to CrateDB 3.x ? Is there any SHOW CREATE TABLE xxxx or similar to view which version is table currently at?

Regards,
Chris

You can check information_schema.tables / information_schema.table_partitions:

select table_schema, table_name, version['created'], version['upgraded'] from information_schema.tables where table_schema not in ('information_schema', 'pg_catalog', 'sys') order by version['upgraded'] ASC, version['created'] ASC;
select table_schema, table_name, version['created'], version['upgraded'] from information_schema.tables where table_schema not in ('information_schema', 'pg_catalog', 'sys') order by version['upgraded'] ASC, version['created'] ASC;

Cluster checks should warn you as well if you have incompatible tables or partitions