Support for rule-based alerting

Hello folks:

I was wondering if there are any plans for having a rule-based alerting engine within CrateDB in the roadmap. For example, based on metric thresholds or log pattern matches etc.

If there is no such plan, is there a framework that you may suggest to your users who want to use CrateDB to build an in-house network monitoring solution.

Thanks

Hi @asavran

I was wondering if there are any plans for having a rule-based alerting engine within CrateDB in the roadmap. For example, based on metric thresholds or log pattern matches etc.

We are looking into it and collecting demand. Could you elaborate what you would like to see from CrateDB in that regard?

If there is no such plan, is there a framework that you may suggest to your users who want to use CrateDB to build an in-house network monitoring solution.

This depends a bit on your requirements :slight_smile:

• Monitoring / altering tools: Grafana, Datadog, …
  • Worfklow / automation tools: Node-RED, n8n.io, …
  • Orchestration tools: AirFlow

Based on my personal experience with other database technologies, there could be one of two things:

• Rule-based alerting based on numeric metric thresholds for time series data
  • Pattern-based alerting based on regex rules for unstructured text-based data

Both may be defined for a predefined time window and triggered at a configurable number of occurrences within that time. Alerts can be submitted locally for storage on Crate or to a third party via webhooks.

Or you can take another approach and do some sort of an anomaly detection for metric data. I think this option is becoming more popular nowadays.